MBSR classes are provided by Dr. Valerie Rice, primarily in and around San Antonio, TX.
Dr. Rice has been involved with meditation for 35 years, first using guided meditation techniques with patients and clients while working as an Occupational Therapist in the U.S. Army.
She now teaches classes based on Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), as taught by Dr. Jon Kabatt-Zinn and
the Mindfulness Center at the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
"After years reading, soul searching, teaching classes in guided relaxation and meditation, and serving in a number of occupations, I was introduced to Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) through a desire to conduct research on its' effectiveness with Service Members and Veterans. It brought me back to daily meditation in my own life. As it
became known that I had been trained to offer MBSR, individuals began calling and asking me if they could attend my next class. Therefore, I have been offering the class to interested individuals in the San Antonio area, and teaching in other areas upon request."
"I hope those who attend will begin to understand the power and potential for a more peaceful and fulfilling life that already resides within them. Through our lives we struggle with the frantic pace of life, stress and stressors, pain and illness, loss, anxiety, illness and self-esteem issues. Getting our lives 'in control' can seem overwhelming. Through these classes and workshops ,it is my intention (and my hope) that those attending will gain in health, self-compassion, insight, and inner strength...and they carry these skills and sense of calm with them,
sharing them in their interactions with others."
Dr. Rice has attended courses at the Omega Institute, including:
Workshop Presentations by Dr. Rice:
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction in Mind-Body Medicine: A 7-Day Professional Training Retreat taught/directed Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn and Dr. Saki Santorelli,
- a 9-Day Practicum in Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Living Inside Participant-Practitioner Perspectives, which included Mindfulness Tools for the Full Catastrophe: A 5-Day Intensive in Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction taught/directed by Melissa Blacker and Florence Meleo-Myer
- the 8-day Teacher Development Intensive course taught by Florence Meleo-Meyer from the University of Massachusetts Center for Mindfulness.
- Silent retreats at Spirit Rock
- Classes by Dr. Hickman and Allan Goldstein (UCSD Mindfulness Center)
- A three day conference on Alternative Medicine for Veterans, as well as a Healing Retreat for Women Military Veterans (2012 and 2013
- Mindfulness with Military and Veteran Populations: presented at the "Annual International Scientific Conferences for Integrating and Integrating Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care and Society" sponsored by the University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Division of Preventive and Behavioral Medicine 2012/2013
- Introduction to Mindfulness: presented at the Human Factors & Ergonomics Society Conference 2014
- Mindfulness in the Workplace: presented at the Human Factors & Ergonomics Society Conference 2014
- The use mindfulness with clients with drug and alcohol problems
- Mindfulness for Occupational Therapy Practice
Check out her blog at http://vitalifeinsight.over-blog.com/
A Thought: "Prayer is when you talk to God, Meditation is when God talks to you". Edgar Cayce
Florence Meleo-Meyer and Valerie Berg Rice
A little blurry, but happy non-the-less!
Florence Meleo-Meyer, MS, MA, is Director of Oasis Institute for Mindfulness-Based Professional Education and Training, a senior MBSR teacher and a member of the executive leadership team for the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. I was lucky to have her as my instructor for a 9-Day Practicum in Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Living Inside Participant-Practitioner Perspectives and the 8-day Teacher Development Intensive course.